Greetings food lovers! Today, I am excited to share with you my version of one of the most classic and beloved Italian dishes, lasagna. This recipe is inspired by the delicious lasagna served at Kroger, and I am confident that you will love it just as much as I do. So, let’s get cooking!
List of Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
List of Instructions
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and salt.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Spread with one-third of the ricotta cheese mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 cup meat sauce over cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving|
- Q: Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
- A: Yes, ground turkey is a great substitute for ground beef in this recipe.
- Q: Can I make this lasagna ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can assemble the lasagna ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it. Just make sure to increase the baking time by about 10-15 minutes if you are baking it straight from the refrigerator.
- Q: Can I freeze this lasagna?
- A: Yes, you can freeze this lasagna. Just make sure to let it cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it according to the recipe instructions.
- Q: Can I use no-boil lasagna noodles?
- A: Yes, you can use no-boil lasagna noodles, just make sure to increase the baking time by about 10-15 minutes.
- Q: Can I add vegetables to this lasagna?
- A: Yes, you can add vegetables like spinach, zucchini, or mushrooms to this lasagna. Just make sure to sauté them first to remove any excess moisture.
- Q: Can I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese?
- A: Yes, you can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese if you prefer.
- Q: Can I use a different type of cheese instead of mozzarella cheese?
- A: Yes, you can use a different type of cheese like cheddar or provolone if you prefer.
- Q: Can I add more spices to the meat sauce?
- A: Yes, you can add more spices like oregano or thyme to the meat sauce if you like.
If you want to make this lasagna even more flavorful, try adding some Italian sausage to the meat sauce. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, like fontina or asiago, for a unique twist on this classic dish.
When assembling the lasagna, make sure to spread the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles to prevent any dry spots. You can also use a spoon to press down on the layers to help them stick together.
If you want to make this recipe a little healthier, try using ground turkey instead of ground beef and using low-fat cheese and ricotta cheese. You can also add some vegetables, like spinach or zucchini, to the layers for extra nutrition.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of noodles. You can try using whole wheat noodles or even gluten-free noodles for a healthier option. And of course, don’t forget to enjoy this delicious and comforting dish with your loved ones!