As a professional writer and a cancer survivor, I understand the importance of maintaining a healthy diet during cancer treatment. However, the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy can make it difficult for head and neck cancer patients to eat and enjoy food. That’s why I created this article, to provide some recipes that are easy to swallow, nutritious, and delicious.
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Soft Scrambled Eggs
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Apple Sauce
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped butternut squash, broth, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream (if using).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Q: Can I use frozen butternut squash?
- A: Yes, you can use frozen butternut squash instead of fresh. Just be sure to thaw it before using.
- Q: Can I make this soup ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can make the soup up to 2 days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stove before serving.
- Q: Can I freeze this soup?
- A: Yes, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
1. To make this soup even more creamy, you can add a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche on top before serving.
2. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use whole milk, half-and-half, or coconut milk as a substitute.
3. If you prefer a spicier soup, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.