- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, yellow mustard, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the cooked macaroni, celery, red onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper to the bowl with the dressing. Mix well to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Can I use a different type of pasta? Yes, you can use any type of pasta you like in this recipe, but we recommend using elbow macaroni for the classic Amish macaroni salad taste.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time? Yes, you can make this recipe up to 24 hours in advance. Just cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can I use a different type of vinegar? Yes, you can use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar in place of the white vinegar if you prefer.
- Can I add other vegetables? Yes, you can add any vegetables you like to this recipe, such as shredded carrots or diced tomatoes.
- Can I make this recipe vegan? Yes, you can use vegan mayonnaise in place of regular mayonnaise to make this recipe vegan-friendly.
- How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator? This recipe will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Can I double this recipe? Yes, you can double or triple this recipe to serve a larger crowd.
- Can I use frozen vegetables? We recommend using fresh vegetables in this recipe, but you can use frozen vegetables if you prefer.
- Can I use less sugar? Yes, you can use less sugar in this recipe if you prefer a less sweet salad.
- Can I add bacon? Yes, you can add cooked bacon to this recipe for a little extra flavor.
If you want to make this recipe even easier, you can use pre-cut vegetables from the grocery store.
You can also add other ingredients to this recipe, such as hard-boiled eggs, diced ham, or shredded cheese.
If you want to make this recipe healthier, you can use whole wheat pasta and reduce the amount of mayonnaise.