Mac and cheese is one of the most beloved comfort foods of all time. There’s something about the combination of rich, creamy cheese sauce and tender noodles that makes it the ultimate comfort food. While there are many different variations of mac and cheese out there, the Tillamook Mac and Cheese Recipe is a classic that never goes out of style. In this article, we will be sharing the recipe along with some tips and tricks to make it perfect every time.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until the mixture turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk while whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens and starts to bubble, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
|Nutrient||Amount per serving|
- Q: Can I use a different type of cheese?
- A: Yes, you can use any type of cheese you like. However, Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese is the best choice for this recipe because it has a rich, tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy sauce.
- Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply cover the dish with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Q: Can I freeze this recipe?
- A: Yes, you can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Q: Can I add other ingredients to this recipe?
- A: Yes, you can add other ingredients such as bacon, broccoli, or jalapeños to this recipe to give it a little extra flavor and texture.
- Q: Can I use a different type of pasta?
- A: Yes, you can use any type of pasta you like. However, elbow macaroni is the best choice for this recipe because it holds onto the cheese sauce well and has a nice texture.
- Q: How can I make this recipe healthier?
- A: You can make this recipe healthier by using whole wheat pasta, reducing the amount of cheese, and adding vegetables such as broccoli or spinach to increase the nutritional value.
- Q: Can I use skim milk instead of whole milk?
- A: Yes, you can use skim milk instead of whole milk, but the sauce may not be as creamy and rich.
- Q: Can I use gluten-free pasta?
- A: Yes, you can use gluten-free pasta if you have a gluten intolerance or allergy.
- Q: Can I use a different type of flour?
- A: Yes, you can use any type of flour you like, but all-purpose flour works best for this recipe.
- Q: Can I use a different type of butter?
- A: Yes, you can use any type of butter you like, but unsalted butter is the best choice for this recipe.
If you want to make the perfect Tillamook Mac and Cheese every time, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use high-quality cheese. The key to a delicious mac and cheese is using high-quality cheese that melts well and has a rich, tangy flavor. Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese is the best choice for this recipe.
2. Don’t overcook the pasta. To ensure that your mac and cheese has the perfect texture, make sure to cook the pasta until it is al dente. This means that it should be tender but still have a slight bite to it.
3. Be patient when making the cheese sauce. Whisking the cheese sauce can take some time, but it’s important to be patient and keep whisking until the sauce is thick and creamy. This will ensure that the cheese is evenly distributed and the sauce is smooth.