Welcome to this article where I will be sharing the recipe for Kronk’s spinach puffs. If you’re a fan of the movie “The Emperor’s New Groove”, then you’re probably familiar with Kronk’s famous spinach puffs. These bite-sized appetizers are perfect for any occasion and are a great way to sneak some greens into your diet. So, let’s get started!
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and cut it into 2-inch squares.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spinach, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, dill, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place a tablespoon of the spinach mixture in the center of each puff pastry square.
- Brush the edges of each square with the beaten egg.
- Bring the corners of the square together and pinch them to seal the edges.
- Place the spinach puffs on a greased baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the spinach puffs cool for a few minutes before serving.
|Amount per serving
- Q: Can I use fresh spinach instead of frozen?
- A: Yes, you can use fresh spinach. Just make sure to chop it finely before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Q: Can I make these ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can make these up to a day ahead of time. Just store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Q: Can I freeze these?
- A: Yes, you can freeze these after baking. Just let them cool completely and then store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, bake in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Q: Can I use a different type of cheese?
- A: Yes, you can use any type of cheese you like. Just make sure it’s a cheese that melts well.
- Q: Can I add other ingredients?
- A: Yes, you can add other ingredients like chopped artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, or even cooked bacon.
If you want to make these spinach puffs even more flavorful, try adding some chopped onion or shallots to the spinach mixture. You can also experiment with different herbs and spices to make them your own.
When rolling out the puff pastry, make sure to flour your surface and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
If you don’t have a pastry brush, you can use your fingers to brush the beaten egg onto the edges of the puff pastry squares.