Greetings food enthusiasts! Today, I’m excited to share with you one of the best southern comfort foods – Smithfield’s Brunswick Stew Recipe. This stew is a hearty, savory dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal for a chilly night or want to impress your guests, this recipe will surely do the trick.
List of Ingredients
- 1 lb. of smoked pork shoulder
- 1 lb. of chicken breasts
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 can of corn (15 oz.)
- 1 can of lima beans (15 oz.)
- 1 can of baby lima beans (15 oz.)
- 1 can of peas (15 oz.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
List of Instructions
- In a large pot, mix together the smoked pork shoulder, chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, lima beans, baby lima beans, peas, onion, garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water, and stir well to combine.
- Cook over medium heat for about 2 hours, or until the chicken and pork are cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken and pork from the pot, and shred with forks.
- Return the shredded meat to the pot, and stir well to combine.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the stew has thickened to your liking.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
|Nutrition Facts||Amount Per Serving|
- Q: Can I use other types of meat for this recipe?
- Q: Can I freeze this stew?
- Q: Can I make this stew in a slow cooker?
- Q: How can I make this stew spicier?
- Q: Can I use fresh vegetables instead of canned?
- Q: Can I substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth?
- Q: How long can I store leftovers in the fridge?
- Q: Can I add potatoes to this stew?
- Q: How can I thicken the stew?
- Q: Can I use store-bought BBQ sauce instead of ketchup?
A: Yes, you can use beef, turkey, or even tofu if you prefer.
A: Yes, this stew freezes well. Just make sure to cool it completely before putting it in the freezer.
A: Yes, you can cook this stew in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
A: You can add more cayenne pepper, hot sauce, or chopped jalapenos to make it spicier.
A: Yes, you can use fresh vegetables if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
A: Yes, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if you prefer a vegetarian version of this stew.
A: You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
A: Yes, you can add diced potatoes to this stew if you like.
A: You can add a cornstarch slurry or a roux to thicken the stew.
A: Yes, you can use BBQ sauce instead of ketchup for a smokier flavor.
If you want to make this stew even more flavorful, you can add some smoked paprika or liquid smoke to the recipe. You can also customize the recipe by adding your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, bell peppers, or okra.
For a thicker stew, you can add more corn or lima beans, or use a roux to thicken it. To make the recipe more budget-friendly, you can use leftover cooked meats or canned meats, such as ham or turkey.
Finally, if you’re short on time, you can use a pressure cooker to cook the stew in less than an hour. Just follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking times and release methods.